Your continued activism is working. Congress this week is again debating and aiming to finalize comprehensive health care reform legislation. MS activists have been engaged from the beginning and must take action once more so that comprehensive health care reform legislation, which will improve the lives of those living with MS, is enacted this year.
Remaining steadfast to the Society's National Health Care Reform Principles, MS activists have sent over 18,000 messages to Capitol Hill and made countless phone calls in support of comprehensive health care reform. Our voice has been heard and many concepts included in the Society's principles have been included in the current health care reform bill, such as:
• Prohibiting discrimination against an individual based on pre-existing health conditions;
• Placing limitations on out-of-pocket costs;
• Providing access to long-term supports and services;
• Expanding the Medicaid program;
• Providing subsidies to those who cannot afford coverage; and
• Eliminating lifetime limits on the amount of coverage a person may receive.
The U.S. House of Representatives is expected to vote later this week. Send a message to your Representative and urge him/her to support health care reform today!